Sunday, January 22, 2012

True love?

So I found these series of pictures of a couple on tumblr. At first everything was normal in the photos, and then came photos of the two in a hospital, the girl without hair in a hospital bed, and the boy was still with her taking photos. The note of the photo series was that "this boy deserves a million reblogs".

Why would he deserve a million reblogs for staying with his girlfriend after she got cancer?! That makes no sense! Why wouldn't you stay with someone you love if they are diagnosed with a horrible disease? Because it's so hard and traumatizing to see the one you love being weak, without hair, in a hospital? Come on, people! That boy doesn't deserve a million reblogs for not leaving his girlfriend, he just did what you are supposed to do in that situation - stay!

Why would we even for a second think "aww he's so sweet for doing this"? WTF? I mean of course it's sweet that their love is strong, but if you don't stay with your partner when things get bad, it's not love. This is what love is all about; being there for each other, no matter what! I wouldn't even consider leaving, if someone I cared about went through something like that, it wouldn't be an option!

What kind of shallow relationships exist these days when we think of abandoning a love, for this very reason, as normal?

I'm sure that if it was the other way around, and the boy was the one without hair in a hospital bed, this couple wouldn't have gotten the same amount of attention.. because girls are expected to be caring? I don't know if people think like this because of society, or because it's in our nature to care for the family (- as if men wouldn't have that ability too??), but I think people's reaction to this issue is pretty... depressing.

It's kinda sad to think about, don't you think? I don't know what kind of world we live in, when leaving someone because they get cancer is more common than to be there and fight the cancer together with that person. This goes for all diseases, and other tragic events!

Why would we expect to be left, when what we should expect is all the more love and support?

That's something to think about. Have the majority of people forgotten what true love is? 


Original photos can be found here.

3 comments:

Yumi said...

that's really saddd! Why can't people just love and care about one another without expecting something in return???

~dαturα~ said...

Sometimes terminally sick people are pushing their loved ones away on purpose. If to think about it, I am not sure if I'd wanted my significant other to see me bold, sick, exhausted and slowly fading away :( It truly depends on couple. That can be sad, of course but oh, well, human nature...
And on a more positive note - I am your followe #300! Congratulations :D

Tirin said...

Yumi: Well, people are by nature pretty selfish.. but when we are in love that selfishness should disappear!

~dαturα~: You have a good point, but I don't think most people push their loved ones away during a situation like this. I do understand how extremely hard it must be to go through something like that, both for the person with the disease (of course), but also for his/her partner. On the other hand, I would refuse to leave, even if my partner would want me to for that reason.

And yaay, thank you :D