Saturday, December 10, 2011

Guide to flawless skin


A lot of people forget the most important thing when doing their makeup: their skin! A flawless looking skin is the key to beauty, whether you use a lot of makeup or not. Of course you have to keep your skin clean and smooth when you're not wearing makeup, but you also need to think about what kind of foundation works for you. Is your skin dry? Oily? Is your skintone warm or cool? What kind of coverage do you need?

Step 1: Lotion and primer
I have two favorite lotions: Clarins, and Decléor

I use Decléor Harmonie calm (which is milk-based and very moisturizing) after I remove my makeup and wash my face every evening. It does wonder for my skin! I can actually tell a big difference from the days when I don't use this lotion for some reason, from when I do.

I use Clarins Baume beauté eclair (or Beauty flash balm, as it's also called) before applying my foundation. This keeps my skin smooth and moisturized the whole day, and it also keeps my foundation in place, since it's also a primer!

Primers are essential for a perfect makeup base. It helps giving an even result for your foundation, and either gives your face a bit of shine, or creates a matte look. A primer is applied after your lotion (unless you use a combined lotion-primer, like I do), and is sometimes only needed in the T-zone (forehead and nose + chin). 

Step 2: Foundation
Of course the first thing you need to do when picking foundation is to choose between liquid or mineral powder. For years I used liquid foundation from Clinique (which is actually very good; it covers extremely well and does not dehydrate my skin), before I tried mineral foundation.

Why did I go from liquid to mineral powder? Well, first of all, the color of the foundation never really seemed to match my skintone. My skintone is extremely difficult to match with a foundation because my skintone is like a mix of warm and cool. I am pretty pale (especially in fall/winter) but my foundation was either too dark or too pale for me. No good!

Secondly, the coverage was too much. I have never had bad skin (I do get blemishes at times, but it's not much). I wanted a lighter makeup and decided to try mineral foundation from Lily Lolo. I immediately fell in love. It does cover well and at the same time is and feels very light on your skin. Mineral foundation is perfect to avoid that cakey layer of makeup. This kind of foundation should be applied with a brush using circle motions, starting in the centre of your face.

This is me before and after foundation. 
In this picture I am not wearing any makeup whatsoever. 
As you can see, my skintone has both red and yellow in it.
In this second picture I have only applied foundation.
I used mineral powder foundation from Lily Lolo, shade: Blondie.
The foundation makes my skin matte and matches the paleness of my neck.

Step 3: Concealer
Sometimes you need that extra coverage. A concealer will help hide those small imperfections if you use the right color. It should be lighter than your foundation, and you can choose between a pen-colceiler, liquid concealer, or powder concealer. A concealer should be applied before or after your foundation, depending on what kind of result you want.

Right now I use the liquid concealer (or looks like a pen but the concealer is liquid) from Clinique whenever I need some extra coverage. Before that I used a powder concealer from Lily Lolo. Both are great and covers well.

Step 4: Finishing powder
This is pretty much only necessary if your foundation makes your face look shiny or oily, instead of that matte look you wanted. It can also be necessary if you use a very thin layer of powder foundation and want to get ride of the natural shine to your skin. Finishing powder also helps your makeup stay on longer.

Step 5: Cleansing
It is extremely important to always remove your makeup before going to bed - everyday! If you do not remove your makeup, or fail to remove it properly, you might get a small outbreak on your skin. Also, there's a risk of Demodex folliculorum, which is a species of mite. This will cause hair loss of your eyelashes and/or eyebrows.

I always start by removing my eye makeup, using a perfume free makeup remover (from a pharmacy). Then I use a makeup remover from Clinique to remove my foundation and bits of eye makeup that my first makeup remover failed to remove (only happens when I have worn false lashes). 


It's good to, approximately once a week, use a facial scrub. This will remove dead skin and help keeping your face smooth and clean. Remember to rinse off properly and moisturize afterwards.

2 comments:

Shanny said...

Hey Tirin :)
I have been a fan of your blog since few months ago and i think doing this beauty blog is absolutely GENIUS. Been reading every post since. I do want to ask what cleanser or toner and moisturizer your using..?

Tirin said...

Thanks, dear :) I could make a post about my makeup removal rutine!